Monday, January 15, 2007

Thanksgiving 2004

Talk went as talk does
“God bless America, Land that I love”
“Nkosi, sikelel’ iAfrika”
“Breathes there a man with soul so dead
Who never to himself has said, ‘This is my own, my …’”
What citizen are you?
By what right do you hold this passport?
Do you really? Are you – I don’t know
Identity
Card, home, rights, responsibilities
Kit, Mr Fix-It, do it yourself
Who are you? Really – Who am I?

Talk went on, around the swirling mists of
Identity
Mashed potatoes and Turkey
A stew of memories
“King of the wild Frontier”
“Zorro!”
“Have Gun, Will Travel” to rocks bold and old
Climbing, playing, teaching, singing
Mixed together – season with talk and Canada
“This is my home and native …”?

Or something else that all the rocks and grass
All the sea and mountains and people
Can only hint at?

28 November 2004

No comments: