Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Ready to Die

Introduction 
Sermons are contextual. The situations I experience inevitably colour the way that I hear a passage of Scripture, and my context at this point in time is one of loss and death. We held two funerals during Holy Week – one for our congregation’s chairperson and another for a woman I had visited many times as one of our pastors. Over the past three months, we have lost many people we love, and this morning’s sermon deals with the texts in this context of loss.
 
Acts 7 
Stephen is known as the first follower of Jesus to follow him to death. He was a Greek-speaking leader in the first Jerusalem Church, and the religious establishment saw him as a threat to their own existence. Stephen defended himself before the Sanhedrin, the highest religious court in Israel, by reinterpreting Jewish history as an arc leading through the Law and the Temple to person of Jesus Messiah.
 
The religious leaders recognized a challenge to their authority within the Jewish people, and they accused Stephen of blasphemy, for which the punishment was death by stoning. Stephen died with a vision of God in his heart and eyes and with words of forgiveness for his attackers on his lips.
 
John 14 
Jesus’ words in John 14 come just after the last supper in John 13 and before the act of betrayal that led to his own death. He knew what was coming and spoke out of that knowledge to his disciples. He was preparing them for his death, but he was also letting them know how to live their own lives.
 
I remember the first verses of this passage from listening to my mother give farewell talks to churches in Zimbabwe, when we left Africa to move to Pennsylvania in 1965. She tied them to the final verses of John 16, promising peace to Jesus’ disciples. These three chapters also form a unit, an extended response to the question that Peter asked at the end of chapter 13, and which Thomas and Philip repeated in chapter 14: Where are you going? They could not see what lay ahead. They knew only that Jesus was leaving them, and they wanted to know where he was going and how they could follow him there.
 
Where was Jesus going? He was going to the Father. He was coming up to the end of his life here in earth and preparing to enjoy full communion with his Father. He had said, “I and my Father are one”, and he was preparing to resume that full unity that gives the whole doctrine of the incarnation so much mystery and power.
 
He told the disciples that they could follow him there. Indeed, by following him as disciples, they were already on their way to God, because Jesus said that he himself was that way. Then, with a wealth of imagery, he promised them a future beyond this world in which they – and we – will experience the presence of God in full. Paul describers the same reality in 1 Corinthians 13: “Now we see dimly in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now we know in part; then we shall know even as we are known.”
 
The Promise 
When we start talking about going to be with God, going to Heaven, sometimes people accuse us of making our faith an otherworldly irrelevant thing – “pie in the sky by-and-by. In fact, it is precisely this promise of union with God that leads to peace and joy in this world. Jesus’ promise of room for us with God in eternity is not a fanciful theoretical promise. It is a down-to-earth practical promise that enables us to live in this world the way God wants us to. Here. Now. I want to spend the rest of our time working out how practical this promise is.
 
Carver Model of Governance 
I suspect that several of you have had experience on boards of governors and the like. You know that some boards are working boards. I am on the board for Steinbach Community Outreach, and, although we don’t try to do the work of SCO, we are involved in fundraising and relating to the community.
 
Some boards, on the other hand, are governance boards. They don’t help with any of the work of the organization, but they provide oversight and accountability for all the organization. I spent 20 years on the board of Operation Mobilization (Canada). We were a governance board using the Carver Model.
 
A web resource provides the following definition:
In the Carver model, the board focuses on determining the overarching policies of the organization, the “ends.” At the same time, responsibility is delegated to the CEO and other members to establish the “means” or the implementation of the policies. (https://www.amcnposolutions.com/comparing-3-models-traditional-carver-and-complementary/)
 
An end has at least two basic meanings. One is time related, such as comes at the end of life. Our end is the moment when we die. The other is teleological: The goal or purpose of the organization. That is the meaning in the Carver Model. The board asks a basic question of the organization’s leadership: Have you achieved your ends in the past year?
 
Our Life’s End
This question is one we could usefully ask in our own lives. But first you must discover what your “end” is. What is your purpose in life? What is the goal towards which you are living? One common goal is expressed in the saying, “He who dies with the most toys wins.” If that is your end, your goal, then you will naturally make choices in daily life that move towards that end. You will accumulate goods that help you have fun. When someone in need approaches you, you may help them. Your life goal certainly does not forbid it. But on the whole, you will not have as much disposable income to direct towards helping the needy, because your goal is to accumulate goods for yourself.

Suppose you have a different purpose for living. Suppose that your end, your goal in life, is to reduce the inequities of life that lead to poverty. Someone in need approaches you, and you respond to them out of your life’s goal to reduce life’s inequities. You may indeed choose not to help them, but you make your choice in the context of your purpose for living. You may also choose to buy something just for fun, but on the whole, you will likely have more disposable income to income to direct towards helping the needy – because your goal is not to accumulate goods for yourself.
 
Notice that any individual action of two different people may look much alike. In the example I have given, one is a fun-loving pleasure-seeker and the other is dedicated to making a more just society. Both of them may help the person in need. Often, the person who seeks “the most toys” is also a pleasant person to be around. Such people will often give a helping hand. The difference shows up over the long term. One seeks to help the person in trouble whenever possible; the other helps when it’s convenient. They have different goals in life, and those goals shape the kind of person they are in daily life.
 
What’s your goal in life? What is your life’s “end”? What are you living for? Jesus tells his disciples what to live for. “There’s room in God’s house for you. I am going to God, to perfect unity with God, and you can too. I have done God’s will here on earth, and I want you to do God’s will on my behalf. I am the way to God, the way to life. I want you to walk in ‘the way’, to walk ‘in me’ as my representative until you die.”
 
Our end – in the sense of the end of our lives – will show what our real purpose, the goal of our lives, has been. Our family and friends remember us, and they can see what we lived for. Jesus says, “Live for me.”
 
What Would This Look Like? 
Think of my example again: Someone in need approaches you for help. It might be a friend who needs someone to support them through a difficult time. It might be a stranger who lives on the street. It might be almost anyone; we all need help from time to time. How do you respond to the request? Most of us try to help. We’re caring people and we feel compassion for those who are struggling, whether they need emotional support or financial help or whatever it is. Do you stop to ask yourself how you can walk in the way of Jesus in that moment? Jesus is life and truth. Do you consciously draw on his Spirit living in you for your response?
 
I had such an experience last Monday. A very ordinary experience. I was leaving Superstore with my groceries, and as I reached the car, a woman approached me. She was dressed as a Muslim woman and carrying a cardboard sign. The sign suggested she was asking for money to buy food and diapers for her children. She may have been part of the Syrian diaspora in Canada. Who knows? I know nothing else of her.
 
I gave her $10. If her need was real, my $10 made almost no difference. If she was faking her need, it went into the bag with other donations she received that day. I have no way of knowing if I should give or not. I gave reflexively, because that’s what we do. As I turned away, I said, “Asalaam aleikum” – “Peace be to you”. She replied “Amin”, the Arabic way of saying, “Amen”, confirming my guess that she was Muslim.
 
But I really do want to be God’s representative here until I die. I really do want to walk in Jesus’ way when I meet a random woman in need. When I got home, I called Steinbach Community Outreach, an organization in Steinbach that specializes in helping people on the margins find housing as well as financial and emotional and social and spiritual support. I asked a friend there if they know of this woman, because they really do know most of the people walking around town with no real home of their own.
 
As we walked my friend went through the possibilities of who this woman was. One likely possibility is that she is someone who is told to stand in the parking lot and solicit donations, then she takes them back to someone else who controls her life. It may be a combination of a scam and a tragedy. My friend said that she appears most summers, not in the winters, and that they (at SCO) would look out for her. If they can sit down and talk with her, they may be able to provide greater help than a ten-dollar bill in the parking lot.
 
I still hadn’t really helped this woman I saw, but I knew that I had done what I could. What more Jesus wants me to do remains to be seen.
 
Generalizing the Case
One problem with this case is that it plays into many of our stereotypes. We are quick to decide that she is exploited, or that she was scamming the people at Superstore, or that society is at fault – or whatever your own particular bias is. Jesus wants us to walk in him, with his life and truth, and to keep walking in him until we get to our final home with God. We don’t have to solve all the problems; we just keep walking with Jesus and learning what we need for the next step.
 
We do that by asking what our life’s purpose is. What is your End? My purpose is to represent Jesus as I walk in his way. I fail often enough, but that’s okay. There is more than enough grace in the death and resurrection of Jesus to take care of my failures.
 
If I generalize from my experience with the woman in the parking lot, one way that I represent Jesus is to treat people I meet as real people. Treat them with respect, whoever they are. SCO has been a good teacher for me. Lois and I were talking recently with SCO’s director, and she told us of a man who walks around our neighbourhood. We have seen him often enough that I found his story interesting. We’ll call him John (not his real name).
 
I won't tell John's story in print, but he has lost his job and family due to mental illness and walks the streets of Steinbach looking for them.He does not read English but can speak some English. He reads and speaks German and Russian. SCO has helped him find lodging, but he has been evicted from the apartment they found. He is not a bad man or a violent man, but he cannot live with people around him. So, he walks the streets. Many of us in Steinbach know him, although we don’t know his name or his story.
 
SCO continues to help as they can, but I wondered what I would do when I next saw him on the street. I could be sure that I would see him because I also walk our streets, and indeed I saw him only a few days later. I was walking into town, and he was headed for Abe’s Hill. As we drew level, I said, “Hello, John.” He didn’t respond, but I thought there was one thing I could always do. I could treat him with the respect we give to other people. I don’t need to treat him as though I am going to fix what’s wrong with him – that can be a kind of arrogance we sometimes show to others around us. I just need to treat him as a person worth my respect and consideration.
 
We’ll see if that turns into anything else, just as we’ll see if I ever meet the woman in the parking lot again. In a way, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that I am seeking to fulfill my end, to live according to the purpose that God has given me.
 
Conclusion 
We started with the story of Stephen. Stephen was someone who faced the end of his life with courage and love because he was clear about the purpose for his life – to incarnate God’s love as a follower of Jesus. Some of us are old enough to have seen many funerals. We know the grief that comes with separation from loved ones. But death only has a real sting in it if we’re not living for God’s purpose in our lives.
 
Jesus assures us of room enough for everyone with him in Heaven – if we are living with Jesus as our end, our purpose and goal in life. As we walk in the way, truth, and life that is Jesus, we are ready for whatever end may come to our lives. We can live well now each day, knowing what we are living for in eternity.
 
Texts:
ACTS 7:55-60 (NIV)
55 But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 ‘Look,’ he said, ‘I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.’ 57 At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58 dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.’ 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, ‘Lord, do not hold this sin against them.’ When he had said this, he fell asleep.
 
JOHN 14:1-14 (NIV)
14 ‘Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.’ Jesus the way to the Father 5 Thomas said to him, ‘Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?’ 6 Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.’ 8 Philip said, ‘Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.’ 9 Jesus answered: ‘Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, “Show us the Father”? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
 
Grace Bible Church
7 May 2023

 

No comments: