Sunday, June 07, 2020

Respect for Those We Reject -- the Ultimate Test


Part Three: The Ultimate Test
The situation I described between George Will and a Facebook commenter is relatively mild. The commenter engaged in a small act of othering, so small that my description may be unfair. Behind much of our political discourse stands the figure of Trump, who has made a career of destroying those who cross his path. His descriptions of the other Republican candidates in the primary campaign of 2016 illustrates his method: Belittle; mock; destroy. The chant at his rallies during the presidential campaign, “Lock her up!”, falls into the same category.

One can argue with some justification that the political left has engaged in a similar process for many years. I have lived many years in the academic world, and when someone takes a forbidden political stance in academic circles, they are “othered” comprehensively and quickly. As more than one person has observed, there is a fundamentalism of the left as there is of the right. (Compare, for example, Ron’s Sider’s comments in his blog.)

Whether this process of depersonalizing and othering one’s opponent is a disease of the left or of the right is not my concern here. I suggest it is a disease of our society today, both on the left and on the right. Trump has simply carried the art of attack to new heights. This fact brings me to my question for part three of this essay: How do we respond to people whose only mode of discourse is depersonalizing attacks? How can I speak with respect about or to someone who seeks only two options – to “other” me or to dominate me?

I do not have a simple answer, and I cannot be sure that any response will work. One is tempted to respond with “fight or flight”. Either I fight back and hit the other as hard or harder as the other has hit me, or I disengage and get out of the way. My own tendency is to disengage and stay out of the way; others may react by fighting. Neither is an appropriate response.

I lived for many years in Zimbabwe. I grew up and taught school in Smith’s Rhodesia. I taught also in Mugabe’s Zimbabwe. Robert Mugabe and ZANU-PF began as a liberating force. Their armed struggle to overthrow white rule in Rhodesia was as close to a “just war” as I can conceive. When a minority of 4% rule the majority population with no effective end of their domination in sight, one sees why the majority rise up and take back control of their lives. “Fighting” makes sense.

Over the years, Mugabe and ZANU-PF gave way to the love of power and corruption ate them out from the inside. The people of Zimbabwe have suffered even more under Mugabe than they did under Smith’s rule. (A long conversation is needed to process these thoughts: There is no space here for that conversation and it must wait for another venue.) They rose up at the ballot box and voted ZANU-PF out, but the ruling party falsified the results and Mugabe stayed in power. Then he and the party took revenge on the people, beating up and killing their opponents, almost randomly. I think it was Michael Ignatieff who observed that, when a revolutionary party seizes power through the gun, they return to the gun when their grip on power is challenged. So it has been with ZANU-PF. Even in so righteous a cause as revolt against white rule in Rhodesia fighting has proved to be problematic.

To return to American politics, the problem with fighting is that, when we adopt the tactics of the destroyer, we become the destroyer in turn. If we respond to Trump and his party by seeking to destroy them, we become like them in our turn. Treating them, treating our bitterest opponent, with respect is the only path forward.

As I said above, I don’t know how to do that. It is a vulnerable position – to refuse to fight back and to refuse to give up one’s position. It is, I believe, deeply and profoundly, the only way forward. To embody Jesus’ teaching in the Sermon on the Mount by humanizing one’s enemies instead of depersonalizing them. I welcome anyone who can help me learn how to live with that kind of respect, genuinely loving and caring for my bitterest opponents without abandoning the position I hold myself.

No comments: