Monday, April 10, 2017

Gail and Denise

Forty years ago we stood at the front of the BIC church in Nappanee. Gail stood waiting for Denise [which I'm sure has never happened since]. Lois was playing the organ. Denise walked down the aisle, and soon they were pronounced "man and wife". I assume it was "man and wife" or "husband and wife" or some such formula: I am not at all sure from this vantage point 40 years later.

Memories of 40+ years. I remember Denise standing in front of the picture window in our living room, waiting for Gail, who ignored tornado warnings to drive in to be with her. (Note: Do not ignore tornado warnings in northern Indiana!) I remember Gail playing basketball with Leah, enjoying his daughter's career as much as he had enjoyed his own. I remember visits on the corner of his Dad's farm, where they built their house. I remember the move into Nappanee when their lives changed direction just over 20 years ago. I remember a little brown dachshund, followed by a small white dog and larger white dog. Denise loves dogs, and they would probably still have three or four if she did all the choosing ....

We have had the usual brother and sister interactions. We have also enjoyed laughter as we played games--there are few people more fun to enjoy an evening with. We have had serious talks--there are few people who have grown as much in wisdom, both in their work lives and in their church. Last Christmas, they talked about God's work in their lives in a remarkable and dramatic way.

Forty years ago we stood in the church. This past weekend they celebrated 40 years together. Lois and I are far away in Manitoba (occasionally reminding them that they need to get passports so they can visit us), wishing we could be there too. Happy Anniversary to a wonderful couple, whom we love very much forever.

2 comments:

KGMom said...

I recall standing with Denise as her matron of honor, which was indeed an honor for me.
And of course, there was Geoffrey who did his bit as ring bearer, which he then reprised a few months later with you and Lois.

Climenheise said...

My memories of their special day are not as clear as my memories of our special day ....

Somehow.