Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Election 2016

"Father forgive me, for I have sinned." I almost feel like going to confession. I had decide some years ago not to vote in American elections when I don't live there -- a decision strengthened by taking Canadian citizenship (dual American-Canadian). I decided when we moved here to vote in the country where I live and not in both the USA and Canada.

So I did not vote in this election. I almost have non-buyer's remorse. Almost.

But I can still say who I would have voted for (in my case, by absentee ballot in Indiana).
President: Clinton. I would have voted for Kasich given a chance. Character is important enough to me to vote against Trump. The character charges against Clinton seem to me to lack substance. (Benghazi: She should not tell us what she knew and did -- giving such information would be irresponsible. Computer server: Good grief! So she made a bad computer choice. Welcome to the world of people over age 60!) I dislike a second candidate from the same family, and I object to her dismissal of republican opponents as "deplorable", But Trump's short temper and readiness to operate by insult and threats makes him unfit (in my estimation) for the presidency. (See Ana Navarro's opinion piece on CNN for a devastating critique.

Senate: Evan Bayh (if I remember the candidate's name correctly). Indiana is so solidly Republican that it needs a Democratic senator.

On the whole I would like a "hung" government -- a Democratic president with a Republican congress -- with one proviso: that they learn to collaborate. We need Republicans and we need Democrats, and we need to learn to work together. If Trump wins, he will have to learn to be a different person. If Clinton wins, she will have to learn to respect and trust Republicans. Perhaps the friendship that has grown between the Bush family and the Obamas can serve as a model: Admit that those with whom we disagree are honourable and worth listening to.

A vote for Gary Johnson seems worthwhile to me: The Libertarian critique is worth taking on board, even if its vision of limited government is unrealistic. A vote for the Green candidate? Well, I have voted Green at least five times so far ....

Who will win as the votes are counted tonight? I hope we all will. I doubt that any of us will. I believe that Trump will be less able to destroy than we fear (even the president's power is limited). I believe that Clinton will be hamstrung by an uncollaborative Republican congress. I hope that I am wrong.

Neither candidate, neither party, can save the country. The candidates at all levels reflect the people who are voting, and we need to examine ourselves more than we need to denounce them. They have articulated our fear and anger and angst and unwillingness to compromise. As a Christian, I believe that only God can heal our personal fears, enabling us to work together to move into a better future.

1 comment:

Jan Engle Lewis said...

I heartily concur with the need to examine ourselves and to allow God to heal our personal fears. Thanks for writing...