Monday, July 16, 2007

The Garden, Part Two

As I thought would happen, Lois looked at the blog and said, "You were right. You got all the wrong pictures!" I gather I used more annuals than perennials, even though the garden has more perennials than annuals. And I showed too many close-ups so that one cannot grasp the shape of anything, let alone a flower bed. And so on.

She is right. I don't know a pansy from a daffodil. I have learned to recognize autumn joy, but they aren't flowering yet. It's not Autumn! Anyway, the pictures that follow are her selection, and they confirm me in my belief that I am incredibly fortunate to live in the midst of such beauty.













A problem with these pictures is that I don't feel like following the necessary steps for a more attractive format. So I place them here, stacked one on the other like a card house. They need more commentary, so that you can see the fire pit at the back of the yard, or discern where Lois' flowerbed blends into Mary's (our neighbour's, who planned her flowerbed to extend from ours), or see where the local park flows from our yard outwards. But enough. It's summer, and time for gardens.

6 comments:

KGMom said...

Tell Lois I liked seeing them ALL--perennials and annuals. After all, God made BOTH kinds--or all kinds as there are biennials too.
I think you just are drawn to petunias--that's mostly what you pictured as annuals. That's OK--those are one of Carlin's favorite.
I like perennials, but haven't done as much research as Lois, so I don't have the all the time blooming in sequence that she must have. So I stick more with annuals.
Thanks for sharing.
I do like that snow shot in the first post!

Climenheise said...

Well, I don't know petunias from aspidistras, either. Lois is out in the garden now, almost 9 pm! Moving things around, which she tells me one should not do this late in the year. But the work is a kind of therapy, I gather.

The snow shot is of Winnipeg, when we arrived back from sabbatical Dec 31, 2003. South Africa was at midsummer. London and Paris were nominally in winter, but still with green grass. Toronto was cooler, but still green. Then came Winnipeg. We saw the snow from the air and knew we were home!

KGMom said...

You almost tempt me to want to move to Winnipeg--all the snow. I do love snow.
And I love gardens.
Do tell Lois how impressed I am with her garden. And, I understand completely, how therapeutic it is.
Carlin started our tradition of buying our summer season's flowers for me for Mother's Day, then he gets to enjoy them all summer!

Denise said...

Please tell Lois that her garden is absolutely beautiful!! I wish that she and Donna could come and give me advice on what I need to do here to have such beautiful gardens.

Anonymous said...

I am name-challenged when it comes to plants, also, which is a shame, considering my dad spent 30+ years as a farm advisor. In college, he had to memorize the botanical families & names of thousands of plants. He would smile at my garden if he could see it - a tangle of this and that, whatever suited my fancy. But I love it, and every time I water or weed, I think of him and miss him.

Your flower photos are beautiful - my kind of garden! (And by the way, my mother grew up in the Church of the Brethren in Washington state. Her roots go back to Old-Order Mennonite, who escaped Europe in the 1700s during religious persectution.)

Climenheise said...

Thanks for the comment, Photo. Our roots also go back on the Swiss Mennonite side, but now we live among Russian Mennonites -- Penners and Klaasens and Giesbrechts and such. Which we have come to enjoy, along with the cold Manitoba winters that make summer even more joy filled.